Tuesday, February 10, 2009

To My Daughter


Dear Daughter,
If I close my eyes for a little while, I can see two blond pig tails, bouncing about as you jump and play with your little friends and then run over to daddy and me and say, “This is my new friend!” you exclaim, grinning broadly, then just as quickly galloping away to play some more, your new buddy following happily along.
I can’t even tell you how many times that scene was repeated in your toddler and preschool years – and even elementary years. Time passes so swiftly.
I know at times you stumbled, and yes, I have wept over those moments in time because I hate to see you hurting. But there is one thing that I am always certain of: even in those dark moments, I know that my girl - my “Pure Victory” - will pick herself up, brush herself off, and start all over again.
And yes, I’ve seen you try it your way. But what always wins through – what makes my heart soar as your mom - is your love for God. I know you have wrestled with Him, daughter of my heart – much over the past year or two. And I do fear that sometimes that has been in no small part because of me. But I have also seen you bow to Him, show your love for Him, and allow yourself to be taught by Him. I cherish those moments, those moments of watching you grow and blossom.
THE daughter of my heart. What a blessing! I love you so much!
I am proud of you. I am proud of the woman you are becoming, struggles and all. I am proud that you are standing up and asking to be counted as, and among, the budding leaders of the youth group, the one who so many look up to. Despite the frustrations and the bickering and the critiques, I do hope you know that no matter what, I love you. I hope you know that my greatest desire is for you to be all that God wants you to be. And I have no doubt that as you follow Him, as you continue to give your life to Him, that that is exactly what you will be.
It gives me great joy knowing you are not only the daughter of my heart, but also a beloved daughter of the King.
Now go out there and be all that God created you to be, Your beautiful and I know you have what it takes to do what's right even though right may seem hard at times it is what you must pray God will strengthen you and give you wisdom in dealing with situations you find the hardest in life. I pray God gives you wisdom and guides you with a deep love and understanding for others.
Love,
Mom